de en es fr
Let the machine help
Light teasing, exhibition, BDSM, sissyfication, watersports... with sounds and pictures

Raw text is briefly displayed before formatted text
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:42 pm 
Regular
When setting the text with show(), I can briefly see the raw text before the formatted text is shown.
For example, the text might briefly appear as:
Quote:
Welcome back Rusty.\nToday is Friday, 11:23\n\n

before showing correctly as:
Quote:
Welcome back Rusty.
Today is Friday, 11:23

SexScripts version: 04-Feb-2020
Platform: Window 10 64-bit

To reproduce the problem using the sample code (below), keep pressing Ctrl-R to reset the script. Occasionally (about 1 in 3 for me), you can briefly see the raw text (see first image) before the expected formatted text is shown (see second image).

I've seen this occur during normal script execution, not just at the start, and it is related to what text was displayed before-hand. Clearing the text before-hand with show(null) or show("") means that the subsequently shown text does occasionally flicker with the raw text. Clearing the text before-hand with show(" ") seems to work-around the glitch.

Has anyone else experienced this? I see that both "Discipline Clinic" and "Domme" (and perhaps others) are clearing the text with show(" "); is that because of this?

Sample code:
Show spoiler

Attachments:
File comment: Raw text briefly displayed
flashing-text-rawtext.jpg
flashing-text-rawtext.jpg [ 133.98 KiB | Viewed 10360 times ]
File comment: Correctly formatted text shown shortly afterwards
flashing-text-correct.jpg
flashing-text-correct.jpg [ 163.58 KiB | Viewed 10360 times ]
 Profile Send private message 

Re: Raw text is briefly displayed before formatted text
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:04 pm 
Veteran
I have seen it when my PC is running slow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:00 am 
Addict
I just figured that was the way java did things. I see something like this when I load Sexscripts, for example, pretty much every time:

<html>Hello, Zap</html>
...although sexscript doesn't know me as Zap, but this is the sort of thing I see too.

I usually see this sort of thing when advancing to a new 'page'(new screen? ..not sure what the phraseology is called in user interface/programming speak if there is a consensus) and normally it's fast enough to not read it but visible enough to know it's happening. I just figured it was normal operation but I'm also using a gray haired laptop too, so maybe others don't regularly see it long enough to notice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:29 pm 
Regular
Thanks for confirming that it's not just me. My PC isn't that slow, but I am shovelling a large amount of HTML formatted text into the show() command, so I suspect that this exacerbates the symptom.

It certainly looks like a fault, albeit only a cosmetic one. Every time I see it, I keep thinking there's something wrong with my script. I wonder if this contributes to some of the latency experienced before the text appears when using show().

Let's hope one of the SS authors gets the chance to take a look, although I accept that it's a low priority cosmetic-only glitch. In the meantime I'll use the show(" ") workaround to clear the text.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:26 pm 
Site Admin
I agree ths is a problem.
I don't think there is any easy solution, however. The workaround of sending "" before is interesting, it helps to understand why the parser may be slowing down, but, as HTML parsing is a Java feature (just called from SexScripts), there's not much to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:12 pm 
I have been seeing it also when I am using formatting commands. It's seems to display the text as is, realizes it has formatting commands and then re-displays with the formatting. I'll have to stick some show(" ") into my script.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:37 am 
Veteran
Code:
def show = { text ->
          show(" ")
          show(text)
      }

Text still flickers and shows not formated text with show(" ") befor show("...").

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:41 pm 
Regular
I'm experiencing the same too, although using show(" ") as a workaround seems to make the raw text appear much less often, it definitely still lurks and occasionally pops its head up.

The smoothest transition I've managed to produce so far when changing both text and image is to use the following sequence:
Code:
show(" ")
setImage(...)
show(...)

I can only guess that the call to setImage() either kicks something internally or causes enough additional latency before the new text is shown to allow it to sort itself out, but it doesn't work consistently. It might even help to add a short wait(...) after show(" "), but I haven't tried that, and I don't want to reduce the responsiveness of the script any further.

For me, the curious thing about the raw text display is that it shows with "\n" in the text. I would assume that all "\n" are replaced with "<br>" prior to being passed to the HTML rendering engine, in which case there should be no way that anything with "\n" should ever appear on the screen.