de en es fr
Let the machine help
Light teasing, exhibition, BDSM, sissyfication, watersports... with sounds and pictures

[NEWS] Webcam blackmail cases have doubled, police say
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:20 pm 
Addict
Good evening all,

I'm just wondering other peoples thoughts on the below article? Especially in relation to some of the scripts which not so much blackmail you, but because essentially you've agreed to the T&C & consequences of these scripts before submitting any sort of information, therefore you understand the repercussions of continuing any further

Any developers who's created these type of scripts, how do you feel about the below article? Had this even popped into your head this could possibly happen?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38150313

Thanks in advance.

Profile Send private message 

Re: [NEWS] Webcam blackmail cases have doubled, police say
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:10 pm 
Site Admin
Good advices at the end of the article

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:37 am 
Veteran
Agree with doti about the good advice at the end :)

Think it was a good thing that we looked where things were heading in here a while back before we collectively added to the problem. As such the current approach (in my opinion) of the scripts I have been involved in should not be a problem. Its probably worth saying why I think this with the 3 obvious ones - You can then ague with me if you think I'm wrong 8-) :

Mandys Blackmail
Depending on if you do the requested tasks correctly or not you will be exposed to the rest of the players. If you mess up your pictures are already out in the open so someone seeing them can't blackmail you as they are already in the open. There is no way for the script to publish your pictures if you follow the instructions (or fool it to think you have).

Jennifers Blackmail
The sexscripts version of this does not even connect to the internet so clearly not an issue - the sister web version (Jennifer in Control) has already answered this question in its fetlife group and would not be appropriate/relevent to discuss here.

Courtroom
I feel this falls into the same category as Mandy - You will only be exposed if you mess up and this will be done publicly so no real potential for blackmail as already in the open. If you are being cynical, both me and ptdw could blackmail you not to release collateral that we vet but I feel (even if we was minded to do so) that would be too risky as it would only take a pm to doti the expose us..

-------------
Anyway thats my quick thoughts on it. Happy to hear if you disagree as it will always be important to protect people who may get themselves into difficult situations by accident. And more importantly suggestions on what we can change to protect people whilst still giving them the thrill.

You can't take something off the Internet - it's like taking pee out of a pool.
https://play-clan.site profile: Liz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:59 am 
Addict
I did just think, there isn't really anything in scripting documentation to maybe inform future developers to be careful of there actions when writing scripts. The last thing is if they ever wrote something and yeah... Just so it helps cover them and to think about everything in full.

Does this make sense?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:40 am 
Veteran
This is why I don't like web-connected scripts, or indeed the whole idea of them. Even if I trust the script writer completely, there's no assurance that images might not get accidentally transmitted somewhere due to a programming glitch, or an otherwise "safe" server they are stored on gets compromised despite the best of intentions. While I respect everyone's views, I actually argued against having such features in SS since they cannot currently be disabled short of firewalling the program itself (which is what I do, just allowing it through for publushing, etc.).

Then again, the whole "blackmail kink" is not one I share, so I can't speak for those for whom the risk is worth the fun (there are surely things I'd do for "fun" that would make others terrified, so no judgement there!).

IMO, today's internet world is just too risky not to keep full control of what you do and don't post. It still amazes me how much identifying content people are happy to share and post online (most folks seem "fine" with scary tech like Facebook identifying people in others' photos!). I avoid almost all forms of social media like Facebook and Twitter for that reason. Plus, I'm old enough that I remember that one of the most liberating things about the internet used to be anonymity and freedom, especially for those of us with quirky kinks others might frown on... these days, more and more are posting things under real names that boggles my mind and could (has, in many cases) cost them their jobs, families, etc.

That said, *personally*, if someone had pictures of me being spanked and tried to blackmail me as per that article... sure it'd be pretty embarrassing in some cases but generally my family would be more likely to laugh or tease rather than judge too poorly (99% of folks I care that much about have at least some idea of my kink), and the same pretty much goes even for work colleagues too, thankfully. Besides, while my sexuality isn't anyone's business, I'm not ashamed... and everyone has their hidden kinks! For someone who'd face divorce, job loss or even worse persecution due to their sexuality or lifestyle choices, though, I can see why it would be a *really* big worry. :(

In regards to SexScripts, I actually have more concern about *other* people, not the script user. As said, if one chooses to play a balckmail script, they know the risk. I worry more about the ethics of someone potentially deciding to send some innocent co-worker they barely know sexually explicit images they wouldn't want to see!