de en es fr
Let the machine help
Light teasing, exhibition, BDSM, sissyfication, watersports... with sounds and pictures

Publishing script problems
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:31 am 
Veteran
I just used the "publisher" for the first time, and have three questions:

1) How do I make my author name "clickable" in the script list on this site? Several other script authors' names are links that go to their profiles... but mine and some others are not. Do I need to edit my profile or chance something in my script?

2) How do I DELETE an uploaded script? I renamed the script and republished it, only to have it publish a duplicate rather than overwrite the previous script (obviously, the uploader uses the script name to decide if this is a "duplicate" or not, leading me to wonder what happens if I try to upload a script with the same name as someone else's!!!). "SexScripts Tutorial" should be the only script I've published here; "Tutorial" is a duplicate that needs to be deleted, but I don't see a way to do this (IMO, authors need to be able to have access to a "delete this script" option somehow).

3) I'm using the */Resources*/ function in my script to tell the publisher what other files to include... is it possible to make the publisher only use this list when publishing a script, if the */Resources*/ section is present? Right now, every time I republish, I have to delete the shared resources (example: sounds/whip.wav) my script uses but doesn't need to include. Seems like it makes using */Resources*/ a bit pointless if I need to manually edit the list each time anyway. I understand it's probably so nothing gets forgotten, but IMO if someone is using the */Resources*/ command, they should know what they're doing (or else not use this and just let the publisher auto-add everything).

Incidentally, I noticed that the download link increments with each upload (even if the same script)... what happens to the previous version? Is it overwritten, or kept on the server somewhere?

Finally... what exactly decides the name of the .zip archive for a script? It can't be script name, because my renamed "SexScripts Tutorial" still has the old name "tutorial", just incremented.

(EDIT: maybe this should be in the "Glitches" forum section? I wasn't sure.)

Profile Send private message 

Re: Publishing script problems
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:42 pm 
Site Admin
1) It was a bug, corrected

2) Publication being really anonymous, there's no deletion apart manual one (i.e. asking for it)

3) I understand, when using the "resources" flag, the list will be limited then

When a script is detected as an update, the old one is kept a few monthes

The .zip file is named after the .groovy file (as other metadata, this is updated when "checking" or running the script).

Re: Publishing script problems
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:41 am 
Veteran
doti wrote:
1) It was a bug, corrected

2) Publication being really anonymous, there's no deletion apart manual one (i.e. asking for it)

3) I understand, when using the "resources" flag, the list will be limited then

When a script is detected as an update, the old one is kept a few monthes

The .zip file is named after the .groovy file (as other metadata, this is updated when "checking" or running the script).

Thanks for the answers! 2 is the only one I find unsatisfactory; I still think we need to be able to control/delete our own scripts (not other people's, of course!); it's the only way I'd feel secure uploading more to the site list rather than just providing my own download link that I can control.

More importantly, though, I think we need to have a "downloads" counter beside each script; I for one really want to know how any people are downloading and using my scripts. Sure, it shows "votes", but experience has taught us CM users that the number of people who download vs the number of people who rate (let alone comment) that script is very disproportionate.

For example, I thought nobody used my "alternate setup" until I checked my download counter (since it's my own link, I can track how many downloads it gets) and saw it was over 300, surprising me. If I'd known, I'd have done more work on it!

Finally... using the .groovy name is fine but wouldn't it be better if uploaded scripts used the "Script Title" metadata instead?

Great to hear only Resources list items will be used, though; that one really confused me!