de en es fr
Let the machine help
Light teasing, exhibition, BDSM, sissyfication, watersports... with sounds and pictures

Install script
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:34 pm 
Veteran
I have pointed a few new people here and some of them are struggling to even get the software running. I know it is easy for most of us to understand how to unzip the main download into a folder. But for a few people this is a bit much to expect... :roll:

Using an install system e.g. the opensource:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nsis/

I think I can write a script for the above easily so we have an install package for windows (optionally including some of the most popular scripts as well?). I can then compile it on my computer or just send the script to Doti to compile as needed when we have updates? - Sure there must be something to build install scripts for MacOS and Linux but its a start

Some of the old hands may turn their nose up at this but I think it will be key to helping new people get started :D and the more people using this the better it will be for everyone :-)

You can't take something off the Internet - it's like taking pee out of a pool.
https://play-clan.site profile: Liz

Profile Send private message 

Re: Install script
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:32 pm 
Veteran
Ok had a quick play, changing the BASIC template for a script with an uninstall is attached.

Once Nullsoft is installed to compile do the following:
[*]create a folder
[*]copy the attached .nsi file into this folder
[*]extract the latest sexscripts zip file into a subfolder called sexscripts
[*]right click on the .nsi file and select compile NSIS script

It appears to install, run and uninstall ok.. but I have a few of my security settings on low just now so will need to test a little more with other versions of Windows etc..

If anyone likes it I can tweak the script so it looks nicer.. and will give users the option of installing some popular scripts but will not spend much time on it if no one is interested.

Last edited by Liz on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:21 pm 
Veteran
Or a play with the better looking style.. can do better but you get the idea :-)

Last edited by Liz on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:39 pm 
Veteran
Ok thats my last play for now, fixed the icon in the start menu and can install a few popular scripts from the install, there is a way to link it to the website for what scripts to add with the install but will not waist time on that till someone comments if an install is a good thing or not? ;) I've testing it with Windows XP, 7 & 8 so far..

Can also add different languages.

Anyway to build the install exe follow the instructions above with the newer script & license (attached) in the install folder. Also create a folder called "SampleScripts" and extract a few script downloads into that (when i was testing I just used SexCards & Mandy's Blackmail)

Can upload a zip of my Install folder but its a 13MB file :roll: or my compiled install program at 12 MB if you get stuck (note it has the downloaded scripts in it hence the bigger size)

Anyway will see if this gets any interest before I do anymore on it :-)

Attachments:
SexScripts_Install.zip [2.02 KiB]
Downloaded 1923 times

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:00 pm 
Veteran
Although (as an "old hand") I personally like being able to install the program "manually", I like this idea and see no problem if SS was to start offering both an "installer" and "portable zip" download for the main program. Keeping things simple for newcomers would only encourage new folks to try out the program.

I've got a couple of "not-very-computer-savvy" friends who I know would like SS, not to mention people on my art blog that I've pointed here, but most of them baulk at just getting the program set up, despite how simple it is. An installer (something they'd be used to from other software) might help there.

I actually used to use a program like this to create installers for my old Cybermistress routines for the exact reasons you give: it's a LOT easier for end-users not to have to figure out where to put stuff, what to overwrite, etc.

I do think it best not to include any 3rd party content (example or "official" scripts only), not just for reasons of credit and ownership (especially for content that uses media from other sources), but so that if a script gets updated, the old version isn't included with SS for months if there's no other update to the program itself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:56 pm 
Veteran
Ok I will take the extra scripts out and do a few tweaks, compile it and upload to sourceforge.. will try and quickly do that tomorrow.. but will see how i go

Looks like you can have it detect if you need to update/install Java at the same time...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:32 pm 
Veteran
Installer Now Uploaded
OK have just compiled the basic script to "SexScripts_Windows_Install.exe" and uploaded to sourceforge so users can see it if they click on the "Alt. Link" from the homepage. Will see if anyone downloads it :-)

Have a basic framework to test if you have the required Java and point you to install if needed but will be a few weeks before I will get round to looking at that (and more importantly testing it).

When I get round to it I will put the install script into the code section if others want to work on it (but basically whats attached above).

Banjo, I agree with your points about not installing 3rd party scripts (so have not) but may also include a link to installing scripts (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=175) or convert it into a graphical script that can optionally be run from a button at the end of the intro script [Show me how to get more scripts]?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:01 pm 
Veteran
I've updated the windows install based on a bit of feedback. Hopefully I have not been too radical :roll: but the changes are as follows:

• Included a new "download" script to guide new users through downloading scripts (have uploaded this to the scripts download page for the curious). Have also added a link to this for the start menu.
  • The intro script has been modified so now searches for installed scripts and lets you select one to run on startup (including the new download script :-) )

Think this should tick the boxes for most the users that were struggling. The only other feedback I got was how cluttered the main page is but I think it has a purpose and would not want to dumb everything down to the detriment of everyone else...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:31 pm 
Regular
Hi Liz

I noticed this is almost a year old but does it still work? I have downloaded nsis and tried to install this but all I get is some various notes etc. it was a nightmare to download nsis too the download kept failing until I changed mirror, I am new here used to use cybermistress but nothing seems to work correctly here and no one is answering my posts, only get some spanking sounds on scrips but no pictures apart from the opening pic, and no other sounds, I have one desktop and one laptop on windows xp and one desktop on widows 7 and have tries sexscripts on all and have the same problem with sounds and pics, so was hoping the installer would have solved it but no it don't appear to be there.

I hope you can help with this problem

I look forward to your reply

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:36 pm 
Site Admin
This tool install an old release of SexScripts (april 2015).

The instruction above are needed to update this install tool (obtain SexScripts_Windows_Install.exe) ; end users don't need them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:29 pm 
Veteran
Yes looking back some of the additions are not needed now - will probably do a fresh build with the latest version in the next week. Will include the nsis script in the new build so its easier for others to edit/update in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:31 pm 
Veteran
Ok updated the windows install in the Alt link to the latest version.

For those interested attached is the source files for the installer to create the install just follow 3 steps:
  • unzip attached into a folder
  • Download and unzip sexscripts into a sub-folder called.. sexscripts ;-)
  • Right click on SexScripts_Install.nsi to select "compile NSIS script"

Attachments:
InstallScript.zip [2 KiB]
Downloaded 1444 times

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:49 am 
Regular
Hi Liz

Thanks for updating this but I must have done something wrong, it was looking for the exe, I inserted that in the file it seemed to work but there was no link on the desktop for me to click on, so I tried again and installed to program files, but for some reason it won't work I presume after installing you should just click on an icon on the desktop or somewhere like when you open other items on your desktop, but I still have to click the run on the box, one xp machine I tried it on just freezes up any ideas

Thanks