de en es fr
Let the machine help
Light teasing, exhibition, BDSM, sissyfication, watersports... with sounds and pictures

Feature Request - Update Prompt
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:23 pm 
Regular
If I remember correctly CM checked for updates when you started it. Would it be possible to integrate a feature similar to that and possible allow auto-updates?

Profile Send private message 

Re: Feature Request - Update Prompt
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:45 am 
Site Admin
I find it myself a little too much intrusive ; it is only in the about box now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:53 am 
Regular
Intrusive how? By asking too often or on the hosting server? Maybe include it as an option we can enable? I will look into it but I may be able to integrate it into the startup script on Linux, have wget look at the file and see if I can see the last modified date and compare and if it's newer have it ask me if I want to update and have it overwrite the files if nothing else.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:33 pm 
Site Admin
For the user ; if someone don't want to update, he does not have to be warned each time (or even one time). I don't like when application do that to me. If I want to know if my software is up to date, I'll check myself. There may be an option, but I'll stay on KISS for now.
And also, there's a potencial overload of the web server, yes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:12 am 
Regular
I can understand where your getting at, however, myself being in IT I prefer to keep my applications as up-to-date as possible. It's a pet peeve of mine when I can't check for updates.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:39 am 
Veteran
for me, it's a fine line. While I like to be sure I'm using the latest version of a program, I hate software that goes online and checks for updates all the time and cannot be stopped from doing so.

To be honest, as gutted as I am about CM's demise, I got the feeling it was headed that way one day... Kenneth had even made occasional comments to the effect of it not running UNLESS you were online!!! Forced internet checking, 'always-on' internet required, and/or 'refuses to run unless you update to the latest version now' are MAJOR pet peeves of mine in any game or program.

On the other hand, I agree that it's a pain if you don't know if a bug you're experiencing is because you're using an old version that has since been updated/fixed.

I'm not sure how the About box works in SS: for instance, I just checked and mine said:
Code:
Your version: 27/12/2011   Version of Server: 11/12/2011
WTF?!

It appears to automatically check the server too, when you click About, without telling the user it is doing so ("going online"), which is perhaps not the best practice? My request and suggestion would be as follows:

• The About box just tells you YOUR current version of SS: e.g. "Version 1.3.0"
  • A button in the About box reads "check for updates" which you can click... it tells you the version currently on the server.
  • Optionally, it compares it to your version and says "do you want to download the update? Yes or No?" Yes either downloads and installs it over your old one automatically or just takes your browser to the download page of this site (whichever you and other users prefer).

I like the above because it makes updating non-forced, doesn't connect SS to the net without permission, and doesn't intrude with "do you want to update?" every time you open the program... yet gives an easy way to check your version and see if there's a new one available.

What do others think? Am I out of date hating "auto-connect-and-update" software? :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:36 am 
Regular
Personally I don't care if a program wishes to check for an update online, as long as there is an option to turn it on and off and it is default to off. Also, I don't usually like programs always going online such as Kenneth was thinking about the always online in order to use. I have this program installed on a virtual machine on my laptop that does not always have Internet, given I only use this program when I am home connected to the Internet ATM. Bottom line is if a program is going to connect to the Internet I want to know why and be able to stop it and still have a functional program.